Thursday, October 3, 2013

ROLLER COASTER OF A WEEK

Hey Yal,
 
The first word that comes to mind when I reflect on the week is, WOW! I will start from the beginning and hopefully include all that caused this week to be defined as rollercoaster. Last Monday on our preperation day, we had splits from 6:00pm-9:00pm and ended the day with 5 member present lessons, 2 other lessons and picked up 4 new investigators. That started our week off very well. Tuesday, we had a lesson with Hermana Campos. Hermana Campos we found the first week I was in this area over 3 months ago. She was a referral from Hermana Landeros who is a member. Before Tuesday, we had only taught her once or twice before. Anyway, Tuesday, we reviewed the Restoration and taught The Plan of Salvation. We were able to help her recognize the Spirit she felt during the first lesson we taught her. She accepted to be Baptized on September 29th, but also mentioned that she is not married to the father of their 4 children and they are living together. Yes, we are now working on getting them licenses for marriage and married before the Baptism on September 29th. We are unsure if the father will be Baptized on the 29th because we still have not taught him, but we are hoping at least for the mother, Hermana Campos and three of her four children over the age of eight years old to be Baptized together. We have a lot of work to do with them coming up. Wednesday, we had President interviews that take place every other transfer. I really enjoyed my interview with President Bowen. He is pleased with what we are getting done in our area and my hard work. He mentioned to me that he is very pleased with the drive I have had ever since the minute I landed in California. Hearing encouraging words from President Bowen truly helps me continue to work hard and at full-speed. I love that man. Thursday, we taught Gisselle Landeros who was planning on being Baptized this Sunday, but was not. We taught her both Thursday and Friday the rest of the commandments to prepare for her planned Baptismal interview on Saturday. On Thursday, she expressed that she wanted her less-active Grandfather to Baptize her, but both her mother, Hermana Landeros and us were unsure if he would be able to. Friday, we explained to Gisselle that we hope that her Grandfather gets the okay to Baptize her, but if he could not, we shouldn't wait for his worthiness as she is ready for Baptism. She understood and accepted the fact that she should not wait. This Sunday, her grandfather had the interview with both the Stake President and the Bishop and has been considered worthy to Baptize Gisselle not this last week, but this Sunday. We were pleased to hear that we only are to wait one week for the Baptism of Gisselle. If I have not made the connection all ready, Gisselle is the daughter of Hermana Landeros who is friends with our other investigator, Hermana Campos. Hermana Landeros has been key fellowship for her daughter of course as well as the referral she gave us. Gisselle is ten years old and was not Baptized at 8 years old, because the whole family has been less-active for a while now. It is an exciting time though, because as we prepare her daughter and her friend, Hermana Campos for Baptism this month, Hermana Landeros has become active in the church. Sunday, we had Stake Conference. Familia Campos followed Familia Landeros to church. Familia Solis whom I have not mentioned yet was given a ride to Stake Conference from Familia Martinez in the Ward. That made a total of eight investigators to church. After conference, our Bishop was able to speak with Hermana Campos about the wedding we need to put on this week before their Baptism. He explained that he would be able to marry them and they talked about the things that we need to do to make it happen. Our ward mission leader, Hermano Lopez is going to help us a lot with this as he has dealt with this before. In the evening, we went and visited Familia Solis becuase we were not even able to speak with them after Stake Conference with the amount of people, where we were seated and what we had to do. We spoke to them about what we must teach them this week and set up their Baptismal interview as well because they will also be Baptized next Sunday. This last week, we started teaching a former we met named Erwin. He obviously has been prepareed since he was dropped, because he told us he wants to learn again, he wants to read and accepted Baptism forOctober 6th after we taught him the Restoration. With every investigator though, there is something to overcome. With Erwin, he works on Sunday's and cannot get it off. We hope that we can make something happen soon so that he can come to church a couple times to be Baptized on October 6th or we will have to postpone his Baptism, until he is able to come to church. With all the miracles we have been blessed with though, I would not be suprised if he was given Sundays off or found another job to allow him to come to church soon. That is where we are at with our progressing investigators. I feel that I have been all over the place in this e-mail, but I feel that if you get anything from this e-mail, it should be this; the work of Heavenly Father is pressing forward quickly. There is a lot going on right now, and I am having a hard time wrapping my head around it all. Maybe that is one reason why we are still in a companionship of three, because we need three minds worknig in this area with all that is going on. There is three more weeks of this transfer and six weeks of work we need to accomplish. I know we can do it, but only with the help of our Heavenly Father. His hand is in His work every day. This work is only to be done one way. I know that I have recieved strength beyond my own along with my companions. I know that Heavenly Father leads this work through a living Prophet, Apostles, mission Presidents, Church leaders and assigned missionary leaders. This work continues to grow and I love it. I could not ask for more. I am grateful for all that I have learned so far on my mission and what is in front of me. Although I am away from the family, I have never been happier in my life, but I also know that I will be even happier when I return to your presence. I love you all. I hope you all understand what all I shared, because I have no time to edit it to be honest. I just tpyed and typed. 
Have a great week everyone! 
 
-Elder Harvey
 

No comments:

Post a Comment